There are few things more distressing to a parent than getting a call from the school nurse reporting that their child has head lice. This is a particularly timely topic now as winter is finally here and children are storing coats and hats in tight spaces. If you scratch through this post as I did while I wrote this post, I completely understand. Knock on wood, I have yet to experience head lice. I never had it as a child and my kids (knock on wood) have not had head lice either.
Adie Horowitz, owner of Licenders, has several tips for preventing lice.
Know the “lice” time of year
- Winter: Travel time, clothing layers, hats, gloves, scarves, etc.
- Summer: Camp, play dates, travel, hats, road trips
- peppermint is a deterrent scent to the bug, many shampoos/conditioners contain this ingredient
- Once per week throw backpacks, hats and jackets in the dryer for 20 minutes
- Educate children on the importance of not sharing hats, hair-bows, jackets and gloves
- Check your children frequently for head lice, it’s much easier to get rid of if you discover it at an early stage
Have you had to deal with head lice? What products did you use to get rid of it? Please leave any tips and tricks in the comment section!
About Adie Horowitz
Adie Horowitz, the founder of Licenders, is a mother who felt like she had nowhere to turn when her children were diagnosed as “having lice.” As an informed mother, Adie insisted that there must indeed be alternative methods for removing lice without using highly toxic products that were in the marketplace. With significant research, Adie created her own lice removal process and product to handle her household problem. Within the next three months, Adie’s services were in such high demand by mothers that had heard of her lice removal process and its success that she was faced with the need to open an official business to help others in need.
Adie Horowitz applied for and won the Make Mine a Million $ Business Competition to fund Licenders. A successful entrepreneur, mother, mentor, role model and speaker, Ms. Horowitz’s vision includes creating jobs and serving communities throughout the nation.