In five easy minutes, I had set things up in Blogger, published my first post, and sent an email to my Mom exclaiming “I’M ON THE INTERNET!”
Yet, I started to wonder…. should I move to WordPress?
- Is your blog more than a hobby? If it is, then you should consider the value of owning your own server space. On Blogger, all of your blog content (pictures, posts, comments) are being stored on a server that you don’t control. If you lost that content, would it be a problem?
- Does your blog generate income? Like it or not, people know that Blogger is free hosting. And if you want to come across as a “professional” self-hosting on WordPress reflects a bigger commitment to your business.
- Do you aspire to have your blog earn money through ads or affiliates? If you would like your blog to start generating revenue, then you should consider how you can control your content. Blogger is “one size fits all” when it comes to your blog content and Search Engine Optimization. But WordPress grants you a lot more power to bring new readers to your blog.
- Are you hoping that your blog will grow larger and impact a broader audience? Changing platforms will only get more difficult the bigger your blog gets. So if you are thinking that you might move “one day” sooner is probably better than later.
- Have you been feeling nervous that Blogger might shut down your blog? This is rare, but it happens enough to make people nervous. Every week you will see comments on Twitter where bloggers have been shut down by Google (and the reactivation process is slow and painful). If this is worrisome to you, you might consider making the move.